Wednesday, November 25, 2015

A Diadem Of Dead Stars Interview



1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the musical project these days?



After my latest release back in September The Mist Bearer pt.II EP I am finishing my next full length which will be ready in early in 2016. The biggest part of the music is recorded, only few additions left to be done and now I am working on the vocal parts. At the same time I am working the layout of the release.



2. In September you had released a new ep, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?



I composed these two songs during the breaks of the recording sessions of my upcoming album. Actually the homonym track is a mixture of old riffs that I have rejected in the past and new ideas. I released this ep exactly one year after the digital release of my first album “The Mist Bearer” which actually marked my existence as a "celebration". This one I believe that combines melody, aggressiveness, uplifting moments which are heralding the darkest and more depressive ones, epic feeling and isolation. In general I believe that with every effort I walk a step further from where I was standing. I find a personal and a musical maturation through every release. There are differences among my works even if all are under the banner of atmospheric sound.



3. So far most of the music has been instrumental are you interested in adding lyrics into your music during the future?



Yes, as I mentioned above I am about to record vocals for my new album so I wrote lyrics dealing as always with Mother Earth and Nature, Enviromental Destruction...  



4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'A Diadem of Dead Stars'?



The name was taken from the first full length of Wolves in the Throne Room. I paraphrased it. Beyond that there is a verse in John’s Apocalypse mentioning a pregnant woman clothed with the sun and moon and wearing a crown of 12 stars. The divine woman for me is earth, not any god not any demon, who gave birth to us, but the stars are dead cause we dethroned her, we raped her divine grace. We carved the umbilicus violently and through the years in the name of the rising progress we have forgotten where we come from. We are drying the wells of flora, we are muting the voice of fauna, and we are turning the womb of life to a sterile burning furnace.



5. Since 2014 you have released 4 releases, do you put a great amount of time and effort into writing music?



I like to dedicate time and effort on my music, after all is an urge that comes from inside. I like the procession of composing. New ideas taking shape in the real world. The journey and the passage from subconscious to conscious. Also every time that I am recording I discover new paths, completely unknown to me and that is something really fascinating.    



6. With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians in the future?



I had few bands in the past and I was working with other people. After a while I could see that we were not sharing the same vision or there where different paths us to follow. I couldn’t handle the lack of time, lack of interest, possible interferences on my music. So after a small break I decided to start something by myself with only purpose to compose music that satisfies me as I want and whenever I want. There is a risk you have to take and a cost to pay. It’s always easier to have other people taking care their parts of music, but that’s fine. There are several difficulties, but I am doing things in my way and I am glad about it. So there is no chance to add other members on this project.



7. I know that you have worked with Pest Productions before in the past, but which label will be releasing your newer music?



Pest Productions again! I was very satisfied with our cooperation and since they are interested for my new material I have no reason to search for something else. To be exact and honest they were embraced my music from day one! They believed my material and after all I was a fan of their releases. Their roster has powerful releases like Sadhaka, Alda, Vallendusk. So it’s very honoring to continue with them. I also cooperate with a small independent label from Germany named No Sleep Till Megiddo. They handled the releases of my EP’s. “The Mist Bearer” part II EP is about to be released sometime soon and also they’re going to release the tape version of ‘The Mist Bearer” in a limited number.



8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of atmospheric black metal?



I must say that the support is very big and the words of people who come in contact is very encouraging! The copies I received from Pest Productions of my full length are almost sold! A great amount of supporters comes from USA. Europe is there too, from Scandinavian countries (Sweden, Norway mainly), Germany, Russia, Spain, Italy. I think that almost zero feedback comes from Greece, hahaha! Very few people know my project here and even fewer like it!



9. When can we expect another full length album and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?



The next album is about to be released in early 2016 in digital format at first through my bandcamp and during the year Pest Productions will release it as CD. I believe that this one has a more obvious Cascadian style, a more primitive aspect but of course all these combined with misty lowland’s atmosphere.



10. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



US black metal of early 00’s has a very strong impact on me. I find their perspective on black metal sound very refreshing, but of course Norwegian bands like Burzum, (early) Ulver are present…I guess I am inspired from anything I can absorb atmosphere. Allow me to give you my latest top 5 list: Alda-Passage, Spectral Lore-Gnosis, With The End In Mind-Thresholder EP, Grimoire-L’Aorasie des specters reveurs, Vallendusk-Homeward Path.



11.What are some of your non musical interests?



I like reading. Poetry and horror / epic literature of the previous century, movies and small isolating trips in nature.



12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?



Thank you for the interview and the interest you saw on my project.

We have to be silent for a while and feel the pounding heart of our Mother in order to remember where do we come from…

Misty Regards!

Bandcamp
Facebook
SoundCloud

No comments:

Post a Comment