Thursday, February 5, 2015

Mystic Rites Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new ep?

I've been mostly trying to promote the last EP as much as possible, but it's been three months now so I'm starting to focus on riffs for the next Mystic Rites record. I have a rough concept for the next album in my head so it's time to get to work.

2.In November you had released a new ep, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have done in the past?

It was very different from the previous work - the old stuff was pretty simple and it focussed on keyboards. It was very much in the old norwegian style, like the early 90's kind of stuff.
Grin as the Jewel Kingdom Falls, on the other hand, is a much faster and more vicious record. There is a lot of blast beats  and fast double bass parts on the EP and it's more uncompromising and "in your face". It's much more technical too - at least compared to the previous stuff.
The production is at a higher standard although still very raw.
I'm happy over all - it came out sounding very much like I wanted it to sound.

3.Your lyrics cover some satanic, occult and anti christian topics, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these subjects?

Mystic Rites has never been a satanic band, nor have I ever called myself a Satanist.
There is a difference between the lyrics being satanic and the lyrics being anti-christian. The concept going on in Mystic Rites is definitely the later option. I strongly disagree with the values promoted by Christianity and I like to manifest this through my music - and I have every right to do so because Christianity fucks around in the society... they don't seem to know their place.
The music and the lyrics - it's all a form of standing up against indoctrination.
As for the Occult, I have to say that these kind of topics do catch my interest a lot. I like to explore the unknown and the mysterious, stuff that cannot be explained by any physical laws.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Mystic Rites'?

Well I can link that to the previous question, it sounds mysterious... at least to me. Also I think that it reflects the music in a way. It's all very coherent.

5.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians in the future or do you prefer to remain solo?

I write the music by myself, yes, and I do most of the recording, but I had a session musician doing bass for the last EP - "Likskrømt", who does bass and vocals in norwegian Kvesta as "Raaten".
As for the future, Dominik Brodnicki (Ishtar Gate, ex-Hegeroth, ex-Crayven) will take care of drums for the next record, so that will provide a lot of natural sound to Mystic Rites' music.
I will be looking for full-time members for gigs in the future, but that's still ahead of me. I want to focus on the next material for the time being.

6. I have read that this project was originally formed in England, do you feel Poland has a lot more to offer when it comes to black metal?

No, Mystic Rites was formed in Poland and about a year after forming it I moved to the UK for a few months and then came back. And yeah, Poland is an incomparably better place to run a Black Metal band. Poland has a strong BM scene and the whole thing is alive over here, where's the UK... well, that country doesn't have a scene at all. Even when you ask radnom people, they have never even heard of such a genre, while over here everyone is aware of this music, despite it being underground.

7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking fot a label or have recieved any interest?

I was trying to get a contract - it's pretty tough actually and also I don't want to sing up with any random label, but I'm one of two minds now whever to leave Mystic Rites unsigned and do everything with my own strength, all the promoting and stuff. At least for the time being. I think I still have some shit to record before looking for a label, especially that - as I said - I don't want to sign to any random label I come across.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?

I'm quite happy with the feedback overall. Obviously the whole thing is still kicking off, but considering Mystic Rites has only been alive for 2.5 years, it's all looking pretty damn good. It's cool recieveing messages from random people from around the world saying they enjoy the stuff you play.

9.When can we expect a full length album and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

Well the release of an LP depends on my tempo of writing and it's really hard to say at such an early stage, but I'd say you can expect a full-length in about 2 years or so. Maybe slightly less.
As for the musical direction - I don't want to give too much away but you can expect quite a significant change in sound and character. A change for the better? Time will tell...

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

It used to be just Black Metal and nothing more. I even narrowed myself down to only 90's Norway. But for the past couple of years now I've been getting into all kinds of heavy shit. Death Metal has become almost as important to me as BM, especially the Blackened, Brutal and Tech side of it. I do also listen to quite a lot of Funeral Doom, some Grindcore, Blackened Thrash - I generally prefer the extreme side of metal music.
Recently I've been getting into stuff like alt-rock or indie rock - I need to add some variety to the shit I listen too, because that will highly influence my music.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

I have a lot of hobbies - I'm a great fan of Total War series and I do a lot of fishing in the season, but I havn't really had time for any of those recently, haha. Pissing on gravestones is cool too and it doesn't require much time and effort so I'll do that whenever I stumble over one.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks for a set of great questions and for your support!

Bandcamp
Facebook
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment