Thursday, September 19, 2013

Terra Deep Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?
Terra Deep is a one man black metal formed to be the purest expression of my self. If I had to categorize it, I would say I play some kind of Cascadian or Atmospheric black metal with a melodic bent to it. It's harsh, it's cold, and at times, it's beautiful.
2. How would you describe your musical sound and also how has it evolved over the years?
Terra Deep is for me an expression of despair, but painted onto the musical canvas not with a brush but a sledgehammer. The music reflects less the primal scream of traditional black metal and more a plaintiff cry. That last howl before going under. Essentially I use the black metal sound, but I come at it from a different place. It started in 2007 with a very raw sound. The early demo's were done on a 4 track tape recorder only a couple years after I'd started playing guitar. Since then I've tried to do something new with every piece I write. I started to explore more atmospheric and progressive sounds on "Starlight Lodge" with clean singing and very melodic (and dare I say uplifting) elements.
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored over the years with your music.
The earliest tracks were very much an expression of my depression. Anti-humanism surfaced many times in the early years as well. I used elements in nature often as metaphor for the unknown, and the eternal. I tend not to write expository pieces, but narratives. I prefer to tell a story that explores whatever feeling I'm trying to convey. Because of this, many lyrics probably have little apparent meaning for one to take away at first glance. I would prefer to MAKE someone feel a certain way, than to outright tell them what to feel.
Since then I've broadened my range of topics and scope of my narratives, but the underlying theme of sadness, confusion, apprehension, and uncertainty remain.
4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name Terra Deep?
The name Terra Deep had no major significance when I picked it, and it was for that reason that I stuck with it. To me it was less about the meaning of the name as it was the feeling I associated with it. The shape of the letters written out and the sound as it came off the tongue was to me so compelling that I didn't mind that it had no inherent meaning.
5.Currently there is only 1 member in the band, do you feel this gives you alot more room to be creative with your music?
I was playing in a number of full bands at the time I started Terra Deep. While the co-operative process was great, I felt unfulfilled. Doing this as a solo band has given me free reign to do essentially anything I feel is necessary to create what I want. It lets me truly explore any vagrant thoughts that may wander into my head to their fullest. It's pure freedom when your heart and soul don't need to undergo someone elses scrutiny in order to be realized.
6.Recently Red River Family Records released a compilation with a couple of your recordings on it, can you tell us a little bit more about it?
"Wanderer" was released not long ago through Red River Family and is a compilation of my previous three releases, "Demo 2011", "Starlight Lodge", and the "Black Water Come" single. Most of the songs on the three releases were written in the same period of time, and as the next release will be somewhat of a departure from that sound, I felt it would be a nice summation of that era of Terra Deep. It is also the final release to feature the original logo.
7. You have an interesting logo which does not look like a typical black metal logo, can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork on it?
I chose the art deco style for the current logo both because I find it very appealing, and to distance myself somewhat from the more traditional black metal scene. As with most things related to this project though, it will most likely change before too long.
8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
It's been quiet, to be honest. Apart from an odd comment on a forum, I hear very little feedback from outside my close friends. Most of my work probably flies under the radar, even for the underground. Admittedly I don't try very hard to promote my music. Time spent working on the last release is time not spent creating the next. I go only as far as making my music available, and letting it run it's own course from there.
9.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
I can promise you won't hear the same thing twice. I've started work on a couple future releases already, and I can tell you there are things I've written now that I would never have dreamed I would attempt with this band 5 years ago. I'm taking in elements from a new realm of experiences in my life, and a plethora of new sounds. It will be much more diverse than previous releases, and I can only guess where it will go from there.
10.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
The first black metal album I heard was Xasthur's "Subliminal Genocide" and it had a massive impact on what I thought metal was capable of. From there I was greatly influenced by artists like Enslaved, Exhausted Prayer, Opeth, Woods of Desolation, and Twilight. For me, these artists were less about focused aggression and more about creating a soundscape.
Recently I've been listening to anything that I feel has that sense of a grand scale that I strive for. Music that just envelopes one completely. Things like Ancestors and Sun of the Sleepless.
11.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Music takes up a great deal of time, as I have many projects going at once. When I do have time I read, write, wander, and play some games. Nothing to spectacular, really.
12.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Terra Deep is about change, and as I do, so will it.

Bandcamp
Facebook
MySpace
ReverbNation
SoundCloud
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment