Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Starless Night Interview


1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
A-Well, Starless Night is in the writing process for some new releases (finally). So some new songs will be available soon.
2. How would you describe the musical sound of the newer music and how it differs from previous material?
A-Our music has always had the same feel. Nothing has really changed up until the end of last year. I've started using more keyboards for a more atmospheric sound, and I"m going to incorporate more clean vocals than I usually have. I feel with these new riffs and sound, it will show a lot more emotion. It's just something you're going to have to hear for yourself once a new song or 2 is released.
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the newer music?
M-We have always explored the dark-side to humanity and the reality of it. It always differs from song to song depending on how it makes me feel. Though we have never incorporated psychedelics into the lyrical style and that may change in the writing process.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
M-Well, it did originate from when I was hiking through the Appalachian Trail, I would do clumps of it at a time. I was on top a ridge during winter time when I looked up over a few days there was never any stars in the sky, hence the name was born. Though there is more meaning behind it which would be the fact that there's way too many people on this earth and you can never see the night sky anymore. We have lost our touch with nature and life.
5. Currently there are only 2 members in the band are you planning on expanding the line up in the future?
A-No. Never. We've talked about it numerous times, but I personally feel that Starless Night is better off with me writing the music-clean vocals, and M doing vocals and occasional keyboard, ect. Maybe a session member for shows once we get to that point but nothing more.
6. According to the Facebook page the band is signed to Bleichmond Tonschmiede, can you tell us more about this label?
M-We have been working with them Rigorism and Salute Records over the past few months. Bleichmond is a label from Germany who does quality tapes they have released our split with Unending Hatred and most recently the Emotionally Scarred and Dead Full length. Rigorism has released a Compilation for us, Emotionally Scarred and Dead and the long lost split with Deafest all on Pro-Cdr. Now finally for Salute Records they released our Drowning Thoughts single on 3" CD.
Hopefully we will be working with these guys for as long as we are active. We would love a vinyl release at some point that's a dream of ours.
8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of depressive black metal?
M-Well they seem to like it which is nice, and speaking from personal experience it really takes some balls and a lot of patience to sit through all the garbage DBM bands these days to find one that you can actually listen to. I thank everyone who has supported us up till now. There have been some that have been there since day 1 and we thank you all!!!
9. Are there any other musical projects going on these days?
M-There was just one that recently came to an end: Lifeless Dreams... Pale Illusions. We did get a tape release and DVD release of that project. I have an ambient project called Sleep Deprived which Tridroid Records will be releasing some tapes of. We also have a bandcamp page for anyone who wants to hear that. There will be other projects I'm working with in the coming months, as for their names you'll just have to wait.
10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
A-With our style of music, and how music is these days, I don't see too much happening. Hopefully we'll get more recognition once our new material is released, but for the most part we are very content with the direction Starless Night has been heading.
11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
A- That's a tough one. I listen to a lot of Wolves In The Throne Room, Falloch, Xasthur, Make A Change... Kill Yourself, ect... and I guess you can say they've very much inspired me and my writing. But as far as what I personally listen to, the list can go on. I'm very open minded towards music. Too name a couple I'd have to say Katatonia, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Hate, Beneath The Massacre, Sargiest, and The Faceless.
M-What I'm listening to hmmm....I can say almost nothing new. There's hardly anything these days that catches my interest. A listed a few that I would say. I primarily stick to Black and Death Metal
12. Does Occultism play any role in your music?
M-No
13. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
A- Honestly, aside from music, I'm a family man. I very much enjoy spending time with my daughter and girlfriend, but other than that I enjoy hanging out with my friends, getting into shit and just having a good time. Who doesn't haha.
M-Psychedelic's, Photography, Hiking/Camping, Weed, Collecting Music
14. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
A- I appreciate you taking the time to interview us. I hope the people in the DBM scene recognize Starless Night more once these new releases our out. I very much appreciate the support and feedback our fans have been showing us. It means a lot when people enjoy something we've put a lot of effort and time towards. So keep it up guys, and expect bigger and better things from Starless Night.

Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment